Friday 14 June 2013

Unit 32 Images and Evaluation for Experimental photography

Unit 32 Images and Evaluation for Experimental photography

Here are a few images created for experimental photography

Please also refer to my sketch book


David Hockney Inspired

Abstract Experimental Image
Uta Barth Inspired 
Jo Casson inspired

Jo Carson Inspired
Jo Carson Inspired


Playing with filters
Composite Image

Composite Image
Jo Casson Inspired


Double exposure and playing with filters in Photoshop

Evaluations for Experimental Imagery in Photography 

Experimental photography was really  very interesting and creative unit. I really enjoyed the different techniques and processes which enabled me to produce a series of images that were unusual. 

I played with light, texture, Photoshop filters, physical manipulation , double exposures, long shutter speeds etc.
The arts that influenced my experimental work were John Baldessari, Jo Casson, David Hockney, Rakin (with his destroy series) and Steven Gill.

My work for this project is on my Blog and in my sketch book.

Evaluations

Baldessaria inspired image ( blog 20/5/2013) works well because the original image was mundane. Normally you would disregard the image quickly, but my adding primary colors, the image is trans formed to contemporary art. I used a quick selection tool and outlined the figures and then used the paint bucket tool to fill with colour.

Uta Barth 
Blog 13/6/13
I love the way Uta Barth uses light in her images. Although the images are abstract there is real movement of light that travels through her images.

My image is composite of three taken outside the colledge with slow shutter speed . I feel the light travels through the image leaving ghost like memories of the original objects.

Steven Gill
Blog 23/5/13
I find Steven Gill's work fascinating. I love the way he uses photography as a documentary and conceptual art form.I was interested with the idea of digital imagery and the introduction of the environment into the pictures to convey realism. Steven Gill captures more than the image, he seems to capture the essence of the place (eg Hackney  pictures). He is one of the experimental photographers that I would like to more research on and develop more work in his style.
My image inspired by him works well. I would like to do a whole series of images of an area to create a documentary using his inspiration. This is an area of photography I would definitely like to develop. 

Rankin
See my Rankin inspired image in my sketch book
An other experimental idea I had was to recreate something inspired by "Rankin Destroy" series. Here Rankin got 70 musicians to destroy their own portrait to raise money for a youth charity. The concept was to allow the subject to express their personality by expressing their emotion through destruction.
I was interested in the concept to actually get someone to destroy an image I had taken of them. This allowed me as the photographer, who has control, to relinquish it to the subject.

The idea being;the photographer usually has full control over the image, like composition. Allowing the subject to express a view over the image makes a connection between the photographer and the subject can result in an interesting connection between the two.

David Hockney    
 Blog 13/5/2013 Please refer to my Sketch Book
I really like the Hockney pictures of the trees in my sketch book I found one that, in my opinion is pure genius. I love the way he uses colour but retains a feel that is true to landscape photography. Also the sheer size of the image gives it a powerful presence.

I really found the colour and different way of looking at landscape and trees intesting. The image created by David Hockney inspired me to create the composite image above. I really like this image because the flow of colour through the image gel together to appear contemporary.  Another reason I like it because the texture of the trees from the original image is still visible in the final product.

Jo Casson

Please  refer to blog dated 13/5/2013
Jo Casson's work looks amazing, she uses mixed media. I would like to develop this further for myself. I have created several images that are inspired by her. I love the way the is subtle but draws you in. I like the idea of painting on pictures to create  mixed media art. I have used Photoshop to create my images but would like to develop and experiment with paint.
In Casson's work and in the images I created, inspired by her, light plays a key role. They are enchanting to view.

Overall i really enjoyed this project and would like to explore it further.










































  . 

No comments:

Post a Comment